A balanced diet is essential for good overall health. The food you eat affects every part of your body, including your hair and skin. Here’s what to eat if you want thick, glossy hair and glowing skin.
- Berries: The rich color of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and goji berries comes from the antioxidants they contain, which help your skin stay plump and young-looking over the years.
- Whole grains: While refined white flour removes the bran and germ, whole grains keep them intact. This is where you get the essential fats, B vitamins, and vitamin E needed for healthy hair and skin.
- Citrus and kiwi: These fruits are high in vitamin C, which is necessary to produce collagen and prevent your skin from appearing saggy and wrinkled.
- Fish: The body uses omega-3 fats to moisturize the skin and prevent dryness. The best source of this nutrient is fatty fish, including salmon, sardines, and tuna. If fish isn’t an option, try flaxseed.
- Eggs: Soften and hydrate the skin by eating eggs. They contain amino acids that help generate new skin cells. But don’t just eat the whites; yolks are full of healthy fat and protein as well.
- Red meat: Hair and skin can suffer if you lack iron. Red meat is the best way to get this nutrient.
- Avocado: This well-known source of healthy fat and vitamin E moisturizes and protects the skin from damaging UV rays.
- Orange, red, and yellow produce: Fruits and vegetables in these colors are high in beta-carotene, a superfood for the skin. Examples include carrots, pumpkins, bell peppers, and mangos.
- Nuts: Nuts are packed with essential fats and nutrients. Eat a small handful each day to keep your hair and skin looking great.
- Protein: As the building block for hair and skin, protein is vital in any diet. Get it from lean meat, chicken, seafood, eggs, legumes, and low-fat dairy products.
- Chia seeds: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds give support to cell membranes, boosting hair health and protecting the skin. Eat up to two tablespoons per day.
- Seaweed: Seaweed has more minerals and vitamins than land vegetables. They also contain omega-3s, helping to nourish and preserve moisture in your hair and skin. Add a teaspoon of dried seaweed to your daily diet to enjoy the benefits.
- Turmeric: Indian brides apply turmeric to their skin to brighten and even their complexion. Add half a teaspoon of great-tasting ground turmeric to smoothies, juices, soups, and dressings.
- Tea: Hydrate your skin and get your daily dose of flavonoids by drinking a few cups of black, green, or white tea each day.
Arlington Dermatology can help you address underlying problems with your hair and skin. We have served the Arlington Heights, IL area for over 15 years, with a commitment to scientifically-backed treatments and customer satisfaction. For help finding the hair and skin solution that’s right for you, please call 847-392-5440 or contact us online.