Summer is here and you have to find ways to beat the heat! But what do you do to keep your hair from becoming a dry, brittle, tangled mess because of chlorine? It is possible to protect your hair AND enjoy the pool, too!
Chlorine in small doses, as found in tap water, isn’t enough to create problems. However, enough chlorine to keep a pool clean can cause hair to become dry and brittle, causing it to break. You may suddenly find that your hair has started to:
- dry out and become brittle
- change color (even if you don’t dye it)
The damaging effects of chlorine tend to be magnified for certain types of hair, such as:
- thin of fine hair
- bleached or color-treated hair
- chemically treated hair
- dry hair
- hair that is already damaged.
Frequenting the pool requires not just care for your skin, but also your hair! So, what can you do to help?
- Get your hair wet first! Hair can only absorb so much moisture. By showering off before entering the pool, you aren’t just being courteous and following the rules, you may also save yourself a LOT of time removing tangles later! Be sure to also rinse immediately after leaving the water.
- Rejuvenate with oils! Natural oils, such as coconut and olive, are great for keeping your hair moisturized.
- Use a swim spray! This can prevent, especially, blonde hair!
- Gentle shampoo to the rescue! Use a sulfate-free shampoo post-swim and follow up with a conditioner, no matter what your hair type.
- If swimming is your jam, wear a swim cap!
- Wear hair in a ponytail, braid, or bun.
- Swim outdoors rather than indoors.
Too much chlorine turned your hair green?
You are experiencing a chemical reaction! Chlorine has the ability to bond with copper, manganese, iron, or other hard metals, resulting in green hair. Here are a few OTC remedies that may help!
- baking soda and water paste
- lemon juice
- soak hair in coke
- wash with eight crushed aspirin that have been dissolved in water
- purchase an OTC swimmers’ hair shampoo or treatment.
Can dry, damaged hair be fixed?
Your hairdresser may have some helpful solutions for severely damaged hair. However, prevention is always key, so start creating new habits that include using a clarifying shampoo or even natural remedies, such as apple cider vinegar. Don’t forget to moisturize and, twice a week, use a deep conditioner.
There is a delicate balance needed for healthy hair. However, there is no need to allow chlorine to prevent you from leading a happy, healthy, cool summer lifestyle! If your OTC solutions and hairstylist aren’t enough to find a cure, know that the friendly staff at Arlington Dermatology are eager to help you with your specific hair care needs. Your hair and skin deserve to be as vibrant and beautiful as you are! So, please take the time to visit our website at www.arlingtondermatology.net or call our friendly staff at 847-725-0824 for assistance today.