Treatments for Dry Skin in Summer
Itchy, dry, flaky skin can be extremely uncomfortable. Fortunately, you can be proactive about keeping your skin from drying out. In the heat of summer or the dry, indoor heated air of fall, it’s easy for skin to get parched in a hurry. Here are some top dermatologist tips for those who suffer from dry skin.
- Moisturize in the morning and the evening. Choose a light, easily absorbable moisturizer in the morning, and consider picking one with SPF, to layer your sun protection. In the evening, before bed, go for a thicker, creamier moisturizer, or a moisturizing mask.
- Always wear SPF. If you’ve got dry skin, you should be wearing sunscreen even when you’re not outside! Dry skin is extremely sensitive to UV rays, so even sitting by a window can cause it to be irritated and even burned. To keep your skin soft, apply sunscreen after your moisturizer, even if you plan to be inside all day.
- Use a humidifier to your advantage. During the warm months we run the air conditioner, and in the fall, we run the heater. These measures can make the inside of your home a more comfortable temperature, but did you know that they can also make the air drier? This can lead to itchy, flaking skin. Using a humidifier can add moisture back into the air and help keep your skin in good condition.
- Skip the long showers. It may feel good to take a long, hot shower when your skin feels dry and itchy, but did you know this can do more harm than good? Prolonged exposure to water, especially hot water, can remove your skin’s natural oils, stripping it of its protective barrier. Keep your showers brief and cool to keep your skin soft, supple, and healthy.
- Consult with a dermatologist. If you’ve got dry or sensitive skin, you may find that many cleansers are too harsh, and many moisturizers aren’t strong enough to do much good. Always choose products formulated for dry skin, and talk to your dermatologist about which ones are right for you. Getting skincare recommendations from your dermatologist is always the best way to design a skincare routine that’s perfectly customized to meet the needs of your skin.
When you need expert advice and help caring for your skin, contact Arlington Dermatology. For over 40 years, our Board-Certified dermatologists have been serving patients, making the health and welfare of our patients our top priority. We offer innovative methods of treatment, using state of the art medical equipment, in our conveniently located, patient-friendly facility in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. Contact us or call 847-392-5440.